Thursday, May 20, 2010

John 6-8

Name: Erin Christina Elliott Today’s Date: 5/20/10


Course: New Testament
Reading Block: John 6-8




Doctrines and Principles:



• Christ is the bread of life (John 6:35)

• Judge righteous judgments (John 7:24)

• No one will be taken before their time (John 8:20 (and other places))



Thoughts, Impressions, Ideas for Application:



• Chapter six makes me think of the sacrament. He is the bread of life, the bread represents his body and the water his blood. He refers to himself and says whoever shall eat of him shall have eternal life. It is partaking of the sacrament. The thing that gets me even more is how after him saying these things is when people turn on him and walk away and will no longer follow him. My heart hurt reading this. How can they walk away from him? People are so easily swayed by the words of others, to follow the crowd rather than following a single person is a safer choice to make. Well, growing up, even more so when my dad left the church my life was under constant watch and to follow the Lord was a lot harder to do. It was a choice to be always yelled at and verbally abused by my father for going to church and doing everything he hated me doing as well as when I messed up he would call me out on it every time. I can see why people would walk away from the Lord and stop following him, no longer walk with him. I can see how Christ would turn to the 12 and ask them if they would walk away too. I can see why people would do the things they did. In my life I choose to keep following Christ no matter what anyone says.

• Fear is another thing that people hide from. I am not sure if it is the same for back then but I know there have been times that for fear of what people would think I would keep my mouth closed. Everyone was supposed to hate someone and I was their friend, but if everyone knew that I would be hated as well. I regret doing that. Even those who believed in Christ and loved him would not speak of him in fear of the Jews. I think sometimes we let fear rule our lives. We don’t take a chance or we won’t bare our testimony in fear of getting shut down or made fun of or hated. We will hide who we are and pretend that we don’t know anything about anything just for acceptance and protection. No one wants to feel left out and be alone or hated because of something they believe in. Fear rules our hearts at times, and with fear – there can be no faith.

• There is so much that there is to think about. One thing that hit me the most was whosoever is without sin can cast the first stone. Who am I to judge another when I walk imperfectly? One thing that we do a lot and a perfect example here where these people were to cast stones at this woman because she had sinned, we like to cast harsh things and judge and turn our backs on people who have “sinned”. I have felt the harshness of such a thing and it hurts to know that those who have no right to judge me are saying that I am horrible and worthless when they as well are not perfect. I know the I am not perfect and I cannot look at someone and call them a sinner for anything that they have done, if anything I want to help them, I never want anyone to feel the pain that I have felt at any point in my life. We all have our fault and have made our mistakes and lived our lives. So what a wonderful and perfect lesson Christ simply states, for those who are without sin, they can cast the first stone, but no one could and they all left. It is Christ who can say to us that we are without sin, he can take it all away and make us new. He is the judge, and most of the time as long as we go to him, he will judge us as clean and remove the sin from us. So who am I to judge another? I am no one to judge, I do walk imperfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment